If you have been issued a citation by an Officer of the Bloomingdale Police Department and you do not wish to contest the charge, you may call (912) 748-8302 or come to the Bloomingdale Police Department located at #6 Adams Road and see the Court Clerk or Court Administrator to find out your fine amount. All fines for violations of State law include various state and county surcharges based on the offense.
After receiving your fine amount, payment may be made at the Court Customer Service window at the Bloomingdale Police Department Building, Monday through Friday, between 8:00am and 5:00pm, or you may mail your payment to:
Bloomingdale Municipal Court
P.O. Box 216
Bloomingdale, GA 31302
Payment may be made in cash, cashier check, money order, credit card or debit. If you are paying with debit or credit cards, please be aware that there will be a 4% processing fee. Personal checks will NOT be accepted! The court does not recommend sending cash if you mail in your fine.
Attention Speeders: Before paying your speeding citation, please click the following link to see if you are in violation of the Georgia Super Speeder Law. Please contact our office if you have any further questions regarding the super speeder law.
If your payment is not received by 12:00 noon of your assigned court date, or you do not appear in court on your assigned court date, your case will be treated as a failure to appear and a warrant may be issued for your arrest, and/or your driver's license may be suspended. Fines may not be set up on a payment schedule without being sentenced to probation.
If you receive a citation, you have the right to appear in court and contest the charge. However, if you pay your fine prior to the assigned court date, no court appearance is necessary. By paying your fine prior to court, you are pleading guilty to the offense as charged. Court appearances are, however, mandatory for all charges for which the offender was placed under arrest and incarcerated. Court appearances are also mandatory for the following traffic offenses:
1 - Homicide by vehicle
2 - Any felony in which a vehicle is used
3 - Hit and Run or Leaving the Scene of an Accident
4 - Racing
5 - Laying Drag
6 - Reckless Driving
7 - Feticide by vehicle
8 - Serious injury by vehicle
9 - Homicide or serious injury by interfering with traffic control device or railroad sign/signal
10 - Controlled substance or marijuana offenses pursuant to OCGA 40-5-75
11 - Driving on suspended or revoked license
12 - Driving under the influence of alcohol/drugs
13 - Following too close with an accident involved
14 - Fraudulent or fictitious use of driver's license
15 - Aggressive driving
If, for some reasons, you are unable to attend court on the assigned court date, you must notify the Court Clerk's office by 5:00pm of the last working day of the week before your court date. Continuances will not be granted, except in exigent circumstances. These include family deaths, substantiated medical emergencies, scheduled military duty, and other instances deemed valid by the Court Administrator. Only the Clerk of Court or the Court Administrator shall grant continuances without a court appearance. If you do not receive a continuance, you must appear in court. If you fail to appear, a warrant may be issued for our arrest and/or your driver's license may be suspended.
You have the right to have your case heard by a jury of your peers. If you request a jury trial, your case will be bound over to the Chatham County State Court or Superior Court. If you desire to have an attorney to represent you in your case, and you cannot afford one, one may be appointed to you by the Court. You can also call the Indigent Attorney Office of Chatham County at (912) 652-7141.
No Bloomingdale Police Officer giving a citation and complaint to a defendant for a traffic violation shall accept a cash bond.
TYPES OF BONDS AVAILABLE:
1. CASH - Cash or money order in the full amount of the bond, which will be returned by the court when the appearance requirements of the bond have been fulfilled or, with your approval, be forfeited toward any fine imposed by the court. Personal checks will not be accepted!
2. Professional Bonding Companies - Bonds may be signed by any Georgia-licensed professional bonding company with a business license to operate within Chatham County.
Municipal Court is held at the Bloomingdale City Hall Building located at #8 U.S. Highway 80, Bloomingdale, GA.
The following are rules pertaining to attendance of court:
1. Be on time! If you are late, you may arrive with a contempt charge already added to your original fine amount.
2. Dress appropriately. Shirts and shoes without holes are required. Shorts and tank tops are not permitted. Hats should be removed before entering the courtroom.
3. No smoking. As in most Government buildings, smoking is not permitted in the Bloomingdale Municipal Building. Dipping and tobacco chewing is also not allowed. An ashtray is located outside the doors of the City Hall for your convenience.
4. Turn off pagers/cell phones. No audible electronic devices are permitted inside the courtroom. An officer will confiscate the pager or cell phone and a contempt charge will be paid in full before the property is returned.
5. No weapons allowed. Absolutely no weapons are allowed inside City Hall, except those carried by certified law enforcement officers. Possession of dangerous weapons inside a Government building is a criminal offense, and you will face arrest and prosecution under OCGA 16-11-127.
6. Food/Drinks not allowed. No food or drinks are allowed inside the courtroom. Please deposit all food and/or drinks in the trash before entering the building.
7. Small children discouraged. It is recommended that small children not be brought into court. If at all possible, please make arrangements for a sitter prior to your court date. Continuances will not be granted because of childcare conflicts.
If you have any other questions, please contact the Clerk of Court or the Court Administrator at (912) 748-8302 during normal business hours.